I am excited to launch a new project with you guys today – the Disability eConference!
It is a new concept in the disability field! Using web based tools, personal experiences and all created by you; it will make a great impact in the disability world.
The first topic, which was decided back in April by people who contacted me on Twitter – is Disability and the Internet. However you can contact me with your ideas for the actual conference name!
This eConference will enable our community to:
• share the many specific uses of the internet for disabled people
• give disabled people new ideas, useful resources and a space for peer-to-peer learning
• educate non-disabled people how awesome disabled people are with the right resources
Every contributor will share a story, experience, view or opinion on how having the internet enabled them to do something cool.
I want to cover the below areas:
• Parents seeking medical support for their disabled child
• Parents seeking peer-support after knowing their childs diagnosis
• Young children (approx 5-15 years) looking for answers on their medical condition
• Young children (approx 5-15 years) looking for peer-support
• Adults with questions on their impairment
• Adults with questions about govt provision for their disability (benefits, equipment etc)
• Education and elearning
• Government policy consultations
• Third life gaming
Do get in touch with any other topics I may have missed.
How are we going to do this?
Well it’s simple. Anyone involved will record a 3 minute answer to a specific question on www.audioboo.fm, which will then be uploaded, along with a little biography of themselves/their experience and a nice photo too. This will all be placed on the eConference homepage; creating a platform for worldwide support and inspiration.
The idea is to have people from all backgrounds and with different experiences. We already have Tanni Grey-Thompson, David Proud and Karni Liddell on board!
The launch date for this first eConference is scheduled for late July. Website developers Misfit-Inc are on board with their slick design and ace user-experience insights.
If you would like to support this project and back an excitingly innovative community-led disability eConference, please do get in touch.
How to contact me
Please let me know by Monday 2nd July:
- Any ideas for a cool and appealing conference name
- Which of the areas you want to talk about (all within disability and the internet)
- If you are willing and able to support this projects success through other ways
Tweet hashtag: trending with #dconference2012
Exciting times guys 🙂