The You Can Hub and Disability Horizons present: “The Life and Times of a Remarkable Misfit – The Intergalactic Book Tour”
Lou Shackleton of The You Can Hub and Martyn Sibley of Disability Horizons invite you to spend an evening out of the ordinary, exploring what it means to live a life with intention and leave the mark you want to leave on the world.
AJ Leon is a nomad and world-changer who organised and curated Misfit Conf 2013 in Fargo, North Dakota in May this year. He writes a blog called “Pursuit of Everything” which documents his quest to do work that truly matters and make a difference in the world. He also runs Misfits Inc, a company of professional trouble-makers. Through telling his story, from high-flying New York corporate to international nomad and professional misfit, AJ will challenge to you to think about the value you are creating in the world and the change you want to see. His book “The Life and Times of a Remarkable Misfit” is a collection of essays by AJ, self-published and Kickstarter-funded.
A “Misfit” is defined as someone who shuns usual expectations to create something new with the aim of making a positive impact on the universe. Misfits are budding writers, entrepreneurs, artists, creators… you! Lou has seen first-hand the magical things that happen when Misfits get together as an attendee at Misfit Conf 2013.
The evening will feature a talk from AJ followed by a Q&A – feel free to prepare questions in advance – and then time for chatting and networking with your fellow Misfits. Expect to hear about:
- Starting from scratch with a blank piece of paper and redesigning our life
- Challenging the stories we were told at school or at the start of our careers
- The new balance and tension between being an artist and being an entrepreneur
- Making a business work when 20% of the time is dedicated to social and humanitarian projects
- Understanding what you want, and what you don’t want – and recognising when you’re being pulled away from your chosen path
- Check out AJ’s blog at The Pursuit of Everything and his company Misfit Inc
- Get a taste of Misfit Con 2014
- Check out AJ’s recent humanitarian project to support a Kenyan village, Gambella, to raise over $15,000 to build their own windmill, contributing to their aim of becoming self-sustainable – Good Misfit
- Check out Disability Horizons online magazine
- Check out The Impossibles, You Can Hub’s latest quest for positive change, here